Usually when you read something is the “[fill in the blank]iest in History” it’s hyperbole. Take for instance, this video of the funniest names in history.
Yes, these are pretty funny names, but did you notice that they were almost all people who lived within the lifetime of the creator? Historically speaking, that’s a very limited sampling, but it’s all-too common. One usually winds up limiting such lists to their own time, culture, and experience. Unless they have access to history and the internet.
So, since many of you have access to both, we want to ask you what’s the funniest name in history you’ve ever seen.
There are some rules to this, but they are simple and include:
- To be clear, when we say “funny” we mean humorous, not odd.
- Names can come from any time or place (citations are always appreciated).
- Valid names include individual given names, individual family names, or an individual’s full name.
- The original name does not need to be in English, but it does need to have a translation (somewhere in the past there must have been a Sumerian whose name translates to “Conan the Librarian”).
- Untranslated names, which are funny in English, are permitted (and probably common).
- No fictional characters or nicknames please.
- You may submit more than one name.
- You do not need to be present to win (as there are no identified “winners”).
Please leave your submissions in the comments section below.
We’re certain we can find better names than Harry Baals.